Green funeral charity rents Hampshire nuclear bunker
The BBC has reported that a cold war bunker in Hampshire has found a new use as the headquarters for a charity promoting natural coffins and alternative burial sites.
The bunker, near Twyford village, was constructed in 1905 as a covered reservoir before being converted into a nuclear bunker during the Cold War. It was sold privately for £240,000 in 2009.
The Natural Death Centre will now rent the building as an office which can accommodate up to 30 people
The bunker was formerly used by computer security companies since being decommissioned in 1997 as it has the ability to withstand a nuclear strike. The building has 8ft (2.5m) thick concrete walls and a 6in (15.2cm) thick steel door, meaning it could withstand a nuclear bomb attack.
It also has parking space for 18 cars.